Monday, August 10, 2015

Maja Golubova


   My name is Maja Golubova and I come from Kochani, Macedonia. I am 25 years old and only a month ago I took the most exciting and challenging trip of my life – exploring who I am.
   My life so far is the same as of any other 25-year-old. Following the rules of the society I graduated from high school of Economics just to find out that I am not much into accounting. The next thing to do, to satisfy my parents and everyone else except me, was to enter a university. This time I`ve decided to be more honest with myself and follow my interests so I chose to study English language. Now, you think that that I`ve finally found my passion, but you are not even close. The university only made things worse. Although I enjoyed studying English, I have been studying it since I was 8, I did not get clear idea how to turn my knowledge into profit because that is what the university diploma`s for, right? I`ve tried to keep up the pace with my age group and found a job as a waitress just to play the “independent” role. But, if you are from Macedonia you know that here the independence costs a lot of “MK Denars”! I quit my job and I was about to give up everything, get a backpack and become a Nomad when a friend of mine came up to me with a suggestion. He said “Why don`t you try volunteering in Romania? I`ve been there, I liked it and it helped me to move on with my life.” And score!!! I needed no more explanations. I asked my boyfriend if he wants to be my companion on this “adventure” and when he said yes I knew that Romania is my next destination. We send our application to VCS, they forwarded it to EVS and after few days we were chosen for our volunteering mission in Arad.
  
After a month spent here in Arad I can say that so far I don`t have any regrets. We were well-received by the hosting organization and accommodated in an apartment with two amazing guys from Spain and Italy. Here we`ve also met many other volunteers from around the World that work on different projects what makes our stay even more exciting. Now let me tell you about our project – OLE. OLE or Outdoor Leisure Education is a project that involves the children with obesity. Our goal is to show these children how to lead healthy live and be physically active. As in any other country in the World the children in Romania are also the greatest clients of fast food stores and the problem became so big that the authorities couldn`t solve it by themselves. In the next 10 months 9 volunteers from Macedonia, Spain and Portugal will give their best to promote healthy eating habits and physically activity as a way of life among youngsters mainly through outdoor activities such as horseback riding, bicycling, hiking and organizing sport tournaments.

  I am really optimistic about the project and I promise I will keep in touch with any updates about it.
   Till then, stay well and do something good for the mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment