Monday, November 2, 2015

2 Months of a Portuguese in Arad - TV and UTA

Big awareness, big challenges and big rewards.

From adapting to the language, trying to understand what people say, involve in the local community and with the volunteers, sharing a place with people that we never imagined to share, play with the children and adapt to local customs, etc.



All big challenges that in the end will make us stronger.
So far, so good and it stills can get better. Romania is more and more understandable despite of speaking might not be one of my biggest strenghts due to the lack of vocabulary and some misunderstandings of the "rules" of the Romanian way of speaking. 
Local community and children, it is quite possible the integration. Of course the language gap might lead to some misunderstandings but with the basic, will and gestures, everything might be possible. I have appeared on local TV (TV ARAD), also in a video of the UTA ARAD facebook (the main local football team!), the kids try to understand my romanian and what I pretend of them...so step by step and things are getting done!




What can I give as an example of success from gestures and lack of Romanian Language?
Entering into a store looking and trying to find out some halloween customs. The store only had Masks. So I asked "pe halloween?", and she replied "Masks". Ok, then I said Halloween customs and started to move on my jacket and pants, and she replied "Haine" (that means clothes in Romanian). After that, she told that she didn't had but gave me a card and the coordinates to the place (asa, aici, acolo, la stunga, la dreapta, da, multumesc, cu placere).



Step by step things are figuring out. Matter of time of "almost  full" adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment